Saturday, September 11, 2010

My main tree stand

 
Due to the fact that some of the land we used to hunt on was sold, I built a new tree stand this year (shown from the back and front above). After a lot of scouting, I decided to build the stand in some thick cover between two of the bean fields. The tree stand is up in an evergreen (providing year round cover) and overlooks a series of deer trails surrounded by about 4 to 8 foot tall brush. My thinking with this stand was that because the area is fairly crowded with hunters and stands, I would try a place that the deer would normally see as safe. Thus, my hope is that I may be able to see and potentially get a shot at some of the more elusive deer. The only drawback of the stand is that the whole tree will move if you shift your weight too much, potentially spooking the deer. I will have to make sure to make very small movements in the stand while hunting. I additionally cleared a few shooting lanes and a small area in front of the stand for baiting. I placed the trail camera on the far side of the clearing in the picture below. This should hopefully allow me to get good pictures of any deer that come in to feed or are just waking the main path past my stand. The second picture looks out to the right of the stand at one of the larger trails.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment