Tuesday, September 14, 2010

First trail camera pics

Above are the first pictures of deer that I've collected in the woods using my new trail camera (Bushnell Trophy Cam). I took it out for the first time on Friday 9/10/2010 and mounted on a tree facing the small clearing I previously made. I faced the camera to the north (towards my stand) in order to keep the sun behind the camera and hopefully improve the pictures. I then added some corn and a grain block to the clearing in order to attract deer.  In the first four days in the field, the good news is that the camera captured deer every day and night. The bad news is that none of them were bucks. Even so, the camera appears to be working great in both day and night time and was sensitive enough to even capture squirrels, rabbits, and even small birds. Although it's a small sample so far, during daylight hours, the deer have been showing up between 7 and 9 AM and also around 2 to 3 PM and 6 to 7 PM.
Unfortunately, the deer are not the only things that have been eating the bait. On the first night, one raccoon showed up. On the second, there were three. By the fourth night, there were eight. Yikes. I have a feeling I am going to be buying a lot of corn.

No comments:

Post a Comment